This past week I attended the Golden Key International Honour Society Summit in Atlanta, GA. It was a lot of fun connecting with the many friends I haven’t seen in years – especially one of my dearest friends, Fabian De Rozario (http://globalconnectconsulting.com/). Although there were many positives from the Summit, I was struck by the number of sessions I attended that addressed purpose and passion in some form or another. However, the ONE THING that stood out in my mind the most was a statement by closing keynote speaker Kyle Maynard (http://kyle-maynard.com/); he closed his speech imploring the audience to “Find Your Why.”
Funny…I’ve been pondering this statement – albeit in a different way – for about two months. After reading Danielle LaPorte’s book, “The Fire Starter Sessions: A Soulful and Practical Guide to Creating Success on Your Own Terms,” the one question that engulfed my every thought was, “what the HELL am I here to do?” I’ve always been aware of my purpose in life (or so I thought), but for some reason, this question of “Why” was especially difficult for me right now. I had a hard time with the question two months ago…and then WHAM! – here it is again, thrown back into my face a second time this summer. This time, however, something was different; as I pondered this question the past few days, I thought about my “Why.” And what I realized is that my “Why” is to help others find their “Why” – or at least answer the question, “What the HELL am I here to do?”
My challenge: how to get college students, faculty, and staff to “Find Their Why” – especially when I’m trying to reach at least the 19,000+ students, faculty, and staff on my campus (University of North Carolina at Greensboro)? I decided to develop a series of powerful, reflective questions to get the ball rolling. Even if most students aren’t ready to tackle such questions, I believe that if I don’t at least make the attempt, they may never find the answer (or have the courage to try) and “leave their music inside of them when they die.” So, here are my “Kick-Ass Questions About Life” that will guide my work (and a big thanks to Danielle LaPorte for some of her awesome questions):
- What positive things do people say about you? What do people thank you for most often?
- What do people come to you for? What do you help with that seems natural or easy for you?
- What are you amazing at doing (can be work- or life-related)? What are you great at?
- How would you like to be seen, recognized, acknowledged, awarded, praised – now and/or in the future?
- When do you feel powerful, passionate, free, incredibly useful, excited, inspired?
- Who do you want to help? Who would you be excited to work with?
- What’s always on your mind? What do you think about a lot?
- What angers your most about the world today? What issues really piss you off?
- If you had a chance to be known for something special or unique, what would it be?
I would love to hear your comments on the questions – or even better, your answers to the questions! Just make sure to take some time to “Find Your Why!”