Now that I’m back from my self-imposed writing sabbatical, I am making a commitment to write more in 2015 – a minimum of twice a month (but hopefully more)!
On Saturday night, my wife Rebecca and I watched the movie, “Hector and the Search for Happiness” at a local theater. Although it received mixed reviews (more positive than negative), I found it to be truly entertaining – and eerily similar to my life. As I continue to wonder about my journey and my happiness, this movie really made me think deeply about my own happiness – and life! Ironically, for my indoor cycling ride on Saturday morning, I was compelled to start reading the book, “The Happiness of Pursuit: Finding the Quest That Will Bring Purpose to Your Life” by Chris Guillebeau. Oh yeah…nothing is a coincidence, right?
After much thinking and pondering the past couple of days, I’ve decided to take on a QUEST; my “QUEST” for 2015 is to teach/train 1,000 students, faculty, and staff on the ways of Purpose and Vision Navigators – to spread the message that purpose and dreams are extremely important to life success in education! The two most profound pieces from the book that resonated with my soul were:
(1) The definition of a Quest:
- A quest has a clear goal and a specific end point.
- A quest presents a clear challenge.
- A quest requires sacrifice of some kind.
- A quest is often driven by a calling or sense of mission.
- A quest requires a series of small steps and incremental progress toward the goal.
And (2) Why a quest might be for you…
- Do you like making lists and checking things off?
- Have you always enjoyed setting goals?
- Do you feel motivated by making progress toward a goal?
- Do you enjoy planning?
- Do you have a hobby or passion that not everyone understands?
- Do you ever find yourself daydreaming or imagining a different kind of life?
- Do you spend a lot of time thinking about your hobby or passion?
So, now I’m on a QUEST, a quest to instill purpose and vision work as a significant part of the student experience! Wanna join me? 🙂
I’m in Bill!
As you//we craft this quest can we do it together? As one of you students, I can see how being a part of your quest can help me to set similar goals thus helping you reach yours. This way we can all achieve our goals and help each other help others in this quest/mission to live with purpose and vision.
You betcha Denise! I would LOVE for you to join me on this quest! Want to chat soon so we can come up with ideas on how to spread the message! I’m going to give it all I’ve got, since it’s driving me like very few things have before! Thanks for responding – you’re AWESOME!
I’m in!! You’ve helped me so much along the way, even when I was away from UNCG all of those motivational talks kept me going! I’m excited about joining you and helping others in 2015!
Hey Demetrice! So, let’s get this thing going! I think 2015 is going to be a great year! Look forward to working together! And thanks for sharing, my friend!