So on Wednesday, I shared the Nine Lies About Work, from the book of the same title by Marcus Buckingham and Ashley Goodall. Now, here’s what they state as the Nine Truths About Work”
- Lie #1: People care which company they work for. (Truth #1: People care about which team they are on, because the team is where the work actually happens.)
- Lie #2: The best (strategic or business) plan wins. (Truth #2: The best intelligence systems that updates information quickly wins, because the world moves too fast for plans.)
- Lie #3: The best companies cascade goals. (Truth #3: The best companies cascades meaning/purpose, because people want to know what they all share.)
- Lie #4: The best people are well-rounded. (Truth #4: The best people are weird in their own way, because uniqueness is a feature, not a burden .)
- Lie #5: People need feedback. (Truth #5: People need attention, because we all want to be seen for who we are at our best.)
- Lie #6: People can reliably rate other people. (Truth #6: People can reliably rate their own experience, because observing experiences is all we have).
- Lie #7: People have potential. (Truth #7: People have momentum, because we all move through the world differently.)
- Lie #8: Work-life balance matters most. (Truth #8: Love-in-work matters most, because that’s what the work is really all about.)
- Lie #9: Leadership is a thing. (Truth #9: We follows humans, because your intent, your essence, and your humanity is what matters most and brings us certainty.)
The whole premise of this book is how people answer these 8 worded items; as you read each one, think about how you would rate yourself on each of the items. Your answers to the eight items will help determine whether you are thriving or dying at work. Here they are:
- I am really enthusiastic about the mission of my company.
- At work, I clearly understand what is expected of me.
- In my team, I am surrounded by people who share my values.
- I have the chance to use my strengths every day at work.
- My teammates have my back.
- I know I will be recognized for excellent work.
- I have great confidence in my company’s future.
- In my work, I am always challenged to grow.
I won’t lie, I am thriving at work because of my team, not because of the institution. I work with great small team of colleagues that provide me the opportunity to thrive in so, so many different ways! I don’t know about you, but as I read these items, they make me giggle!
P.S. Want to learn more? Get the damn book!