Thursday, November 25, 2021 (Day 328) – Happy Thanksgiving!
Relaxing Music for the week: My Quiet Spirit: Liquid Mind (10:52) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qD1tif1eGs
Question: What are some of the mantras or guiding principles you use in your spiritual life?
Answer: First, Happy Thanksgiving! I hope that your day was wonderful. Call me a party-pooper, but I spent my day playing golf with my friends Daryl and Spencer at Siler City Country Club. Yes, they were open, although we only got to play 12 holes. DEFINITELY worth it! Now, if I can just find a way to play at least 9 holes on Christmas day in sunny, warm weather, that would be a treat!
Now, regarding today’s writing prompt. I actually have one guiding principle that rules my life: “Striving to be 1% better every day.” That’s statement guides almost every decision and action that I take on a daily basis. It’s a simple question that I ask myself that makes my life easy: “Is the decision I’m about to make or the action I’m about to take making me 1% better?” If it’s a “yes,” then I go ahead and do it. If it’s a “no,” then I don’t. Makes life pretty simple, doesn’t it? Of course, this guiding principle extends to my relationships as well – “Is what about to say or do making our relationship 1% better?” I also have a list of guiding principles that I follow, not necessarily as a part of my spiritual life, but as a part of living in general. I call them my “Rules for Living.” It’s a combination of words of wisdom that I created myself and quotes that have inspired me along my journey. Here they are:
- “Striving to be 1% better every day.”
- “Achieving more than one ever thought possible.”
- “Dream Big. Live With Purpose. Inspire Others.”
- “Be you. For you. And be cool with it.”
- “Best advice to follow: Do what you say you will do.”
- “Do or do not. There is no try.” – Yoda
- “Done is better than perfect.” – Sheryl Sandberg
- “Be who you are and say what you feel because people who mind don’t matter and people who matter don’t mind.” – Bernard Baruch
- “The purpose of life is to discover your gift. The work of life is to develop it. The meaning of life is to give your gift away.” – David Viscott
- “In any given moment each day, you have two options: you can choose to step forward into growth (+1) or backward into safety (-1).” – Abraham Maslow
- “Give your best, to the most, for the least.” Charles Eames, as shared by Brian Johnson
- “Our job in this lifetime is not to fit into some mold that others have determined is best for us. Our job is to find out who we already are – and become it.” – Steven Pressfield
- “I’ve concluded that the metric by which God will assess my life isn’t dollars but the individual people whose lives I’ve touched. Don’t worry about the level of individual prominence you have achieved; worry about the individuals you have helped become better people.” – Clayton M Christensen
When I have my Training in a couple of weeks, one of the activities the participants will have to complete are their set of “Rules for Living,” rules that will govern their lives on a daily basis. They will come up with no more than twelve; my list if thirteen (cut down from 18). Now, which of the 12 would be most important for me to live RIGHT NOW? That will be one of my projects before the Training – to come up with my 12 Rules for Living.
So, what would your rules for living (or mantras) that guide your spiritual life?